Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Just In Time

Once again this morning I read why “just in time” financial education may be too late. While I understand the concept, I never think teaching financial education is wrong.  Just like I think we are never too old or young to learn.

However, I recently found myself wondering if there is a correlation between early financial literacy and real-world financial success. As much as I would like to believe there is, we simply can’t control other factors that might influence financial behavior.

Growing up, in what some might consider poverty, money was only discussed in terms of the “lack of” and “saving money” was never heard of.    However, my siblings and I each have our own unique take on the value of money and what financial security looks like.  While my sister is a risk taker and makes larger sums of money, my brother is very low maintenance and I on the other hand, need and desire financial security.

So, given that we grew up in the same house with the same parents, what influenced our behavior?  Was it the birth order, our peers, our spouses, our career choices or maybe a combination of all? Who knows?


But one thing is certain, children learn by example and then they choose to either follow or lead!  Therefore, I plan to keep educating our future and myself.  Because one day these financially independent young people will determine my healthcare!

No comments:

Post a Comment