Monday, March 27, 2017

Financial Impact In A Hug

I was recently blessed to travel with some amazing 8th grade students to discover the financial footprints of their home state.  This bank-sponsored Financial Education Georgia Studies Tour afforded many students from all walks of life and socio-economic backgrounds the opportunity to enjoy a “first”!  For many of these students this was their “first” trip to their state’s Capitol.  As each student sat down on the lawn after enjoying their time at the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame for a picnic lunch, the majority stated this was their “first” picnic.  For a few, this was their “first” time to stay in a hotel, and it was even a “first” time traveling more than 30 miles away from home for a couple.    

While I personally was completely blown away that sales-traveler expenditures contributed close to $350 million to Macon, Georgia’s economy and supported 3,400 jobs not to mention the tax relief and benefit to the local economy, I wasn’t quite sure the students “got it”.  I mean this was their “first” time hearing this information.  However, in spite of the excessive talking and blank stares, I continued to tell the story of the economic impact each new adventure afforded us.  I also tried to relate real life examples of how it ultimately impacted them personally.


On the last day of our tour as we walked into the Martin Luther King, Jr. Historical Museum, my heart was touched as one young man walked up to a statue on the “freedom walk” of an elderly lady and just indiscriminately hugged her. With my cellphone in hand, I captured the moment, and I instantly became the student.  What hit me was not the economic impact of the money the museum brought to the city of Atlanta, but the future economic impact this young man will have within his own community all because of someone else’s sacrifice. I was further assured of this young man’s potential as we stopped at the final rest stop on the way home, when walking in to see all the cherry blossom displays, he asked the attendee, “So what is the economic impact of the cherry blossom festival?” And I’m sure by the look on her face that was her “first” time being asked that question from an 8th grader.

2 comments: