Monday, December 5, 2016

The Measure of Wealth

Recently while sightseeing in the affluent green hills of Brentwood, Tennessee, I was a little surprised when the tour guide spoke about the amount of involvement the rich and famous had in the local community. While many of them had high fences to maintain privacy, these celebrities’ children attended the local public schools and could frequently be seen at school plays, and even at the local Publix’s shopping for groceries.  While I totally “get-it” that these are simply real people, I found it quite fascinating. I also began imagining what the interaction between these family members over Christmas dinner or simply life after school would look and sound like behind the walls.

As soon as we returned home, we drove to be with family members that had recently lost their patriarch.  This brother, father, husband and grandfather was a gentle giant and was truly loved by so many. I listened as my husband, this sweet man’s children and grandchildren spoke of their times together. The stories of the private moments they shared laughing and enjoying each other seemed to paint a picture of his life I didn’t know existed. It also seemed to be some of the best times for this sweet family.  Now while this home was far from the green hills of the affluent neighborhood in Tennessee, for some reason the stories my husband’s family told resembled some of the same pictures I had imagined for the life of the Rich and Famous.


How could this be? Could it truly be that the measure of one’s wealth was not summed up by an outward appearance or by zip code?  Was one life style better than the other? I left resolved that neither was right or wrong and at the end of the day, behind all walls: high and low, lies our greatest assets.  Merry Christmas 






No comments:

Post a Comment